11 more random things about me…
1. I love coffee – it is one of my addictions…
2. When I sleep I wear a sleep mask. It is not a pretty image – my poor hubby!
3. I suffer from migraine headaches; I get them once or twice a week…it’s a long story, yes I take medicine; yes, I have tried the chiropractor; yes, I have tried IV therapy; yes, I have been hospitalized for them; yes, I have seen a massage therapist; yes, I still do a combination of these things to “prevent” them, but I still get them.
4. My first career was in insurance. I still love the business world and often compare things in education to business because I see so many people trying to implement a business structure in education. Nope, not going to work – we’re dealing with children – it is completely different! They are not, will never be, and should never be seen as pieces of data!!! Okay – off my soapbox; but yes, I love business – it would be my third career if I ever changed careers again which is highly unlikely.
5. I tell my students that my husband’s first name is Mr. They always ask what his “real name is” but I tell them that his mom named him Mr. – I spell it out on the board “Mister” and they believe me!!! The parents always ask and I tell them the truth, but it is one of those little games I play with my kids!
6. My first job was as a telemarketer. I called and asked for donations on behalf of PBS. Yes, it was the perfect job for me – I love to talk!
7. I am a diehard Spartan fan!! I don’t care if they have a bad season, or two, or three, or decade. I am an East Lansing girl at heart!!
8. I have an addiction to school and office supplies. I
9. I cannot read a map and get lost…a lot…even when I am going somewhere I’ve been before.
10. I make lists for everything. When I cross something off my list, I rewrite it because otherwise it looks messy.
11. I love huge and violent thunderstorms & would love to try tornado chasing!!
Here are Brianna’s questions
1. If you could chose one famous person to meet, who would it be and why?
I would love to meet Thomas Jefferson. He is a wonderful writer and was an amazing president. I think he could provide a lot of insight in today’s world.
2. What is your favorite smell?
My favorite smell is coconut. I love anything coconut!
3. Other than your computer, what do you hear right now?
I am listening to the furnace and shower running. I think someone is up and ready to go shopping in our house!!
4. If you became a multi-millionaire overnight, what would you buy?
There would be a lot of new purchases – however, the first would be a home. We definitely need an upgrade!!
5. What is the top item on your Christmas list?
The top item on my Christmas list this year is an iPhone. I am so incredibly excited to finally be getting one this year.
6. What do you do most when you are bored?
I don’t really have time to get bored. I always have some type of project going or something to do for school. During my down time I love to go to the gym and read.
7. When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a million different things growing up. Stages and phases I guess. The first thing I remember wanting to be was a teacher. I loved to “play teacher” at home and with my friends.
Probably about middle school and high school I wanted to be a stock broker so that I could live in New York. Ahhh, the glamorous life!
During my first round of college I majored in travel & tourism, but ended up going into business. I was actually in business for 10 years before I decided go to back to school and major in education.
8. Do you have pets?
We don’t have a pet any more. Scamper, our dog, passed about 2 years ago and we just haven’t gotten another pet.
However, that would be item number 2 on my Christmas list this year! Mr. Realistic is not interested….we just have too much going on right now. I continue to scheme and will have a new puppy in 2013!!
9. When was the last time you laughed so hard you cried?
This is definitely with my best friend Nicole. Once she and I get started we can’t stop!!
10. What is your favorite children's book?
Oh my gosh – this is a tough one!! I can’t really pick just one because I am obsessed with kiddy lit! I loved reading Where the Red Fern Grows to my older students. At the end we would all sit on the floor in a circle and cry. Yes, I let my students see me cry when I read – they need to know that we can be so attached to a character that they touch a place in our hearts.
With my 2nd grade babies I love to read The Three Questions. My students find it very thoughtful and they love to analyze it and pull out the author’s message.
11. If you could compete in any Olympic sport, what would it be?
Bwhahahahahaha!!! If there was a reading competition I would totally win a gold!! I am not an athlete, and have NEVER been accused the being one!!!
I figure skated as a little girl and would love to be an Olympic figure skater…again, God would really have to change my ability though – I need some a lot more grace and much better balance!!
Miss Chaney’s Questions
1. If your life had a theme song, what would it be?
Baby Got Back! Hahahaha! Just kidding – although there is a ton of truth to that statement!
My Wish – Rascal Flats
2. Why did you choose to become a teacher?
Honestly, teaching followed me. I knew when I was little that I wanted to be a teacher. I had amazing role models.
3. Why did you start blogging?
I followed a ton of blogs for a few years and loved reading about other teacher’s adventures in their classrooms. Another teacher suggested I start my own blog and I did!
It’s a great way to share my stories and learn from others along the way.
4. What has been the best thing to happen in your years as a teacher?
I have met and become friends with amazing families!!! Since I have changed grade-levels a few times I have had the opportunity to teach siblings for 3 years in a row. I have become very close with those families and love their kids as much as I love my own.
5. Skittles or M&M's?
M & M’s. My favorite are the coconut, but I love the pretzel ones too!
6. What was the last book you read for you?
Actually, right now I am reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. It is really good!
7. Apple or Android?
Currently, I am an android girl; but I am getting ready to make the switch to Apple. I can’t wait to get the iPhone 5 in December!!
8. If you could create a new species, what would it be?
I’ve never been the scientific type so it’s super hard for me to imagine doing this… I would have to combine dogs though.
It would have to be some kind of pug, chihuahua, dachshund, yorkshire mix. I would have to leave it to the professionals though because I know nothing about breeding dogs!
9. Acrylic nails or au naturale?
Au naturale right now; however I loved my acrylic nails – they were so much easier
10. What food makes your mouth water just by saying its name?
Coconut cream pie
11. What are your plans for the holidays?
I would love to go home for the holidays but it is just not in the plans this year. The four of us, Mr. Realistic, Oldest Realistic, Youngest Realistic and me are going to stay home for the holidays. Of course, Girlfriend Realistic will be joining us too. I am really just planning on relaxing and reading.
Here are my 11 questions for the blogs I nominate:
1. What is your favorite smell?
2. If you became a multi-millionaire overnight, what would you buy?
3. Do you have and what is your end of the day routine? At school & at home?
4. What is your favorite TV show?
5. Do you have pets?
6. When was the last time you laughed so hard you cried?
7. What is your favorite book to read to your students?
8. Why did you start blogging?
9. What is your favorite type of weather?
10. Are you a “list maker”?
11. Do you workout, go to the gym, or exercise in general?
Here are the blogs I’m nominating:
1. Two Tacky Teachers
2. The Happy Teacher
3. Mrs. Hutten’s Buttons
4. The Reading Buddies
5. The Creative Chalkboard
6. Drowning in Paperclips
7. The Balanced Classroom
8. Teaching Maths with Meaning
9. Study all Knight
10. Ms. M’s Third Grade Gems
11. The Teachaholic